Monday, December 06, 2010
A couple of vids of me trying out a Wacom tablet mod made by Lez Wright. It's pretty good and works out quite a bit cheaper than the real thing. You can find out more here. The Jedi one has come out a little dark but you can see the pic at the end of the video.
Posted by Dylan at 3:08 AM
Monday, November 08, 2010
Monday, November 01, 2010
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Here's some sketchbook stuff, plus a couple of the sketches done at Birmingham. Had a great time there, sketched pretty much constantly both days. The web address on the top sketch is from one of the people I did a sketch for I've just drawn around it.
*edit* found a couple more sketches on line. Anderson and what's supposed to be a Red Sonja had no idea what her costume was so I just made something up.
Posted by Dylan at 4:23 AM
Tuesday, October 05, 2010
Another page from Meat almost done every one now.
I think I did the rough for this straight in Manga Studio, can't find any little thumbnails in my sketchbooks anyway. Just went in and sketched away then put on panel borders and perspective grids to match what I'd sketched.
The first panel was pretty straight forward so I just loosely did some blue pencilling and inked straight on top of it same went for pans 4 and 5. Panels 3 and 6 needed a bit more work so I pencilled them pretty tightly and inked using the blueline method mentioned in earlier posts. Panel 2 was a re-use from an earlier page. I decided to render that whole page greyscale it was supposed to make the whole colouring process go smoother, it didn't, I'll go into that a bit more when I do a step by step on that page.
Next up are the inks pretty self explanatory on this one, though I did decide to make panel one a full bleed panel also I inked some building silhouettes with the hatching brush in Manga Studio.
Colouring, same as usual though I did recolour the re-used panel, keeping it all red made colourising the greyscale simpler and I think it looks more effective than the original panel. I used a technique of adding some extra shadow to the last panel by colouring the whole panel normally but then on a new layer set to multiply I added a dark green and then lowered the opacity.
Oh yeah, the guy kneeling down touching the blood wasn't in the script, I imagined him as some sort of psi judge who could touch the leftover bits from an accident and kind of tap into what happened, forgot to put any psi logo on him though so he probably looks a bit weird.
Posted by Dylan at 4:54 AM
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Friday, September 17, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
First up are the colours to the John Romita Jr piece. This was quite a fun one to colour, I've always liked his stuff especially on a Daredevil year one book a few years ago. It was done in pencil with the bulk of the shading already worked out. I turned them into a multiply layer and coloured underneath added some textures and shadows to the bg. I like the way the lettering has been done to fit in with the style of the pic. I'll stick up the Cliff Robinson ones in a bit.
Posted by Dylan at 2:18 AM
Friday, September 10, 2010
Wednesday, September 08, 2010
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Spent a bit of time doing some sketches for Draw The World Together at the last Bristol con. All the artists did some extra sketches in between sketching for people and they're now all up for auction here here's my one. Bid away it's all for a good cause.
Posted by Dylan at 4:15 PM
Monday, August 16, 2010
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Here are a couple of Rose O'Rion pics for a short story by Rose O'rion co-creator Kek-W for Zarjaz a 2000ad fanzine. Was really good fun drawing her again maybe Tharg will commission a new Rose strip in the future, would be cool :)
Stuck up another commission piece too £25 plus p+p if you want one.
Posted by Dylan at 3:36 AM
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Here's another one, still a few left. A bit spoilery this one but there's been a couple of Megs since so hopefully it's ok.
This done much in the same way as the other pages but on this there's quite a bit of digital inking done in Manga Studio. I tried something a little different and pencilled the page at print size. I took it into MS and inked it tightening up as I went along. In some ways it was good as I could leave a lot of things looser than I normally would and I could also sort out the perspective in MS. There's still something a bit odd about digital inking though. I think because you have to work a bit more zoomed in so that the accuracy of the tablet/cintiq works better you kind of lose that sense of how much detail is needed. When working on paper you kind of build up a sense of what will and won't work for reproduction. I was quite pleased with how it came out in print though as I think it was quite hard to tell the digi from analogue inks. Maybe with a bit more practice it will seem more natural, I hope so as there are a ton of advantages to going all digital. Oh yeah digi panels are pans 1,2,5 and 6.
Posted by Dylan at 5:49 AM